Sunday, January 19, 2014

Life at Kona

To be honest, while it's all very interesting and I love pretty much every minute of it, there's so much going on during the week that each day is very difficult to remember completely. But, perhaps there are those who are interested? I suppose I'll share my weekly schedule.

Sunday is really totally free, with no obligations or plans, and is very relaxing. Not much to share about it, other than it's one of my favorite days of the week.

Monday starts with breakfast and Ship Shape (quick chores for everyone at Port), then worship at Ohana Court up on campus. Speaking of Ohana worship, someone prophesied over me last week. Not quite used to that yet. After worship we come back to Port for the morning class, followed by lunch, then a sort of class given by a Steps of Justice representative on some justice issue (such as poverty). After this is work duty, then dinner, and then Ministry Night. This is basically a night of worship with no definite end-time, either up in the prayer room on campus (with a loud band and a ton of people), or one here at Port. By this time my bed looks oh so comfortable, so I go to sleep.

After breakfast on Tuesday is a time of intercession for specific needs of YWAM ships. For example, praying about the status of the ships, of the weather, and the crew. Then we have class until lunch, with nothing going on until our work duties. This free time is glorious, though I quickly fill it with stuff I have to get done. After work is dinner, then Skate Night, a street ministry for the skating culture here in Kona. Personally, I've yet to go, but I hear it's cool.

Wednesday morning I wake up early as part of the coffee ministry team. Basically, a handful of us grab a pitcher of coffee, some sugar, straws, creamer, and pastries, and go for a walk to share coffee with the homeless as the sun's coming up. We get back in time for breakfast, then have a bible study as a DTS on what we've read through the week. For example, this week will be the book of Mark. Then comes class and lunch, followed by small groups, then work duty, and the rest of the evening is free. But, like I said, I always find myself doing something.

Thursday's morning class is preceded by a time of intercession for a specific justice issue. After lunch is work, then dinner, then what is called the "Ohana Gathering." This is a two hour seminar of sorts given by a key speaker, and so far I've seen Loren Cunningham and Susi Childers. After this, I can almost guarantee I come back to our kitchen at Port and try to find something to eat. Because I'm an exciting person and there's such variety here on Hawaii, I generally go for peanut butter.

Friday's after-breakfast event is a time of worship and prayer, then class, then lunch. My schedule says "electives" after that, but for the life of me, I can't remember what that would be. Work duties come after, and then dinner, followed by whatever I need to do. Like laundry. Clean clothes are nice.

Saturday is definitely my favorite day of the week, because yesterday I got to go SAILING. Oh my gosh, it's my favorite thing ever. I know several knots, the sails, the rigging, how to be the helmsman, all sorts of things. I cannot fully describe how much I loved it. At one point, after I felt comfortable with it all (I went everywhere on the boat, just to see what it was like, from the bow to the stern), I asked, "So...what's it like to go overboard?" The instructor looked at me, said, "You want to jump overboard?" I, of course, said yes, and she grabbed a buoy-like thing from below, along with a line. I tied the line to the buoy, and the line to a kleet on the stern, and threw the buoy overboard. "You'd better hang onto the line, it'll surprise you how fast we're going," said the other instructor, and I jumped into the perfectly blue water. I grabbed onto the line, let it slide through my hands until I got to the end, and then it drew taught. Just like the instructor said, the boat was moving much faster than it seemed.

I still can't describe what it's like on Hawaii. The feel of the water or the wind, or the sight of Mauna Loa covered in afternoon clouds in the background, or the fact that geckos on the walls are normal, is amazing. The crystal clear, blue ocean doesn't even make you cold. It's definitely an experience I'll treasure.

Having had my fill of the water (and wanting to learn even more about the boat), I pulled myself along the line, back on board. Everyone else had their turn, and then we made our way back to the port, where I learned how to moor the boat, and what needed to be done to maintain it. Even that I enjoyed. And through it all, incredibly, I didn't even get sunburned. Awww yeah.

And that really fills everyone in. Today I've been taking a break, reading my Bible, writing this, and just being quiet, which is good. I find Jesus is pretty fond of calm places.


Onward, to Serendipity.

1 comment:

  1. This was a nice post to get a glimpse into the day in and day out stuff. I love the coffee ministry of feeding the homeless the most!

    ReplyDelete