Thursday, December 19, 2013

And so It Begins

I never thought I'd have a blog. So, I really have no idea what it's supposed to be like. Or how long I'll keep it. Or what I'll write about. Will it just be about life in general? Or is it to be strictly for missions? Hmm...

Either way, I suppose I'll start with the title, "A Serendipitous Adventure". Serendipity has come to be one of my favorite words, for two reasons. Firstly, it sounds neat, and I like the spelling. Secondly, it carries an interesting definition: "The occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way." Basically, a serendipity is a "happy accident". While that's cool and all, it's my faith in the Gospel of Jesus that adds some depth to the word. Romans 8:28 tells us "...all things work together for the good of those who love [God]." If that's the case (I do believe in the authority of Scripture), then all of my life is a serendipity, for in the end, I will be with my Maker. Pretty stoked about that, I must say.

Since I brought up missions, I suppose we'll go there.

To sum it up for those who don't know, I'm leaving for the Youth With A Mission (YWAM) base in Kona, Hawaii, on the second of January. Good golly, that came quick. I'll be there for the lecture phase of my specific Discipleship Training School (DTS), called YWAM Ships, until mid-March. The focus of this DTS is to go places only ships can go, to share the gospel and minister to the people there. After learning how to do that during the lecture phase (this includes all things sailing, as we will be the crew of our own ship), we'll be headed out for a 2 1/2 month outreach phase. I'm generally not a very excitable person, but I'm definitely excited for this.

Anyway, back to my departure date. It's got me nervous. Like a wall I'm going to smack into. Except, it's an exciting wall. And I'll break through it in an explosion of glory.

I'm actually probably just going to sit in my seat on the plane and munch on some peanuts. But it might be glorious. Aim high.

Until then, it's dealing with what I can at home, and being with the people I care about. Oh, and my constant push to get the money together to pay off the outreach phase. Speaking of which, I'll do a bit of shameless advertising here, and add the link to my YouCaring campaign:

https://www.youcaring.com/mission-trip-fundraiser/the-gospel-in-micronesia/110575

So how does one end a blog post? Should I come up with a clever salutation that is somehow relevant to the title of the blog?


Onward! To serendipity!

1 comment:

  1. It is great that you will keep everyone informed about your trip. Bon Voyage. May you grow closer to God and reach out to many through the Gospel.

    ReplyDelete