Monday, February 17, 2014

Crazy Stuff Continues

So, I've an adventure to share. But first, a short bit about what the days since the last post have been like, and what I've had brought to mind.

This whole past week has been about identity/worldview, both of which are things I was pretty sure I'd had pretty good knowledge of, seeing as I've taken classes and read books and stuff before. Apparently I didn't have as good of a grasp as I thought I did. And I rather enjoyed it.

This week's speaker was Joseph Avakian, a very expressive, creative person, and every day at the end of class the whiteboard looked like a mix between a large scientific diagram and a colorful rendition of spaghetti. One of the things that really struck me during his teaching, and the thing I dwelt on for the remainder of the week, was that God made you and He made what you like so He must think the two are good. I know it sounds like I'm being rather stubborn about it, and I probably am, but I generally shoot down the stuff I like as trivial or impractical, a thing to be forgotten so that you can focus on better things. Yes, I spend time on it sometimes, but I always cringe thinking of how much time I've "wasted" daydreaming. But why shouldn't I daydream? Why shouldn't I come up with worlds and creatures and ruins and maps and stuff in my head? Aren't I made in the image of a ridiculously creative God? Of course one should be able to focus and be productive, but shouldn't we be able to imagine as well, and enjoy the stuff that we are just drawn to as unique people? We're all different, after all. So now that I've got that to go off of, the next question is what to do with my particular imagination. I'll let you know when I've figured it out.

Onto my adventure.

A couple nights ago, my friend Kelby comes up to me in my room and says, "You want to go camping?" Of course, I said, "Heck yes, when and where?" So, he told me of the plans he had to get out past Waimea to a place called Pololu Valley with a group of people. I grabbed a morning sailing slot early in the morning on the next day, and was good to go. Matt, Amanda, Kaden, Tyler, Sarah, Jessica and I payed $2.00 for a bus ticket, and we were off.

And then we screwed it up and got off when we shouldn't have. The closest we could get now was Waimea on a bus bound for Hilo at four. So we waited an hour in a Little Caesar's in Kmart (didn't know they had those in there) and hopped on, deciding that we'd have to hitchhike the rest of the way. According to our navigation device as we were walking down the road once we got to Waimea, it was a mere 14 miles. According to the actual route I just looked up, it was 28. Yeah...

So we split into two groups, Matt, Amanda, and Kaden in the back, Jessica, Sarah, Tyler, and myself in the front. Of course, within half a mile of Waimea, the back group gets a ride from a pickup truck. I said, "They'll stop and pick us up too, there's a ton of room in the back." I ate my words shortly, our group smiling wide as they left us in the dust. Fantastic, thank you very much, totally feeling the whole team thing. After we quit staring down the road and thinking rather indignant thoughts, we walked on. And on. And on. Finally, after the sun set and we'd been walking in the dark through the hills together, someone actually stopped. "I really only picked you guys up because it's dark. I mean, it's D-A-R-K, dark," he said as we piled into his car, thank-you's abounding. Along the way, we find out his name is Mike, he owns an internet dating site, and is all about finding your inner self and letting your inner Chi and love of the universe flow through you. Interesting guy, but nice enough. He ended up bringing us even up to the parking lot outside of our trail, and we thanked him again.

Kelby and Teddi had gotten there that morning (Kelby is the luckiest unlucky person on base, his whole weekend, every weekend, is free. My gosh.), so we headed down the switchbacks with a couple flashlights to see if we could find their camp. For how low our visibility was, we made it down the rather steep grade with pretty minor injuries. Then we went a-hunting for Kelby and Teddi's campsite. After awkwardly stumbling up two a couple campfires that we were very much not a part of, we saw a headlamp, and found it belonged to Kelby. We followed him up the hill to find that they had run into five mission builders from campus, and we all just got to hang out. There are fewer things cooler than running into random people, not even being able to see their faces, but being at ease because they love Christ. After talking for a bit, and running out onto the beach when the full moon came out to silhouette the cliffs and shine off the waves (it was absolutely surreal), we went to bed.

Kelby woke me up at 6:30 so we could hike a trail up to the ridge, along with one of the mission builders, to see the sunset. Another amazing time I'll remember. Eventually we got back down, where we found Matt, Kaden, and Amanda wandering around on the beach. By the way, the beach is made up of black sand. Super cool. Anywho, we run down there to get the story. Apparently the guy that picked them up told them he'd only be able to get them a little farther down the road, so they'd basically leapfrog us, and it wouldn't make much sense to grab us. But then the guy changed his mind, and said he could get them much closer to Pololu anyway if he just took them where he was going, which was a different route. When they reached the town, they wound up spending the night on the porch of a coffee shop. I decided to be thankful for the way things turned out for my group.

Seeing as they just got there, Matt, Kaden, and Amanda were loathe to leave with us and the mission builders (who had a truck), and decided to hike around the valley for the day while we took off. Sarah joined them, and they left as we packed up camp. Kelby said something about the waterfall mentioned in my last escapade, and they said we should go, so off we went. Three in the front, seven in the back, it took us an hour and a half before we reached the bend in the road and pulled over. Scrambling back down the fallen trees for the second time, we found the waterfall was much less powerful, but the pool was just as clear and blue and we had a great time jumping in from the rocks.

Then came the most amazing part of Hawaii yet.

Someone decided to climb up the rocks past the waterfall, and discovered there was another one hidden behind it, and yet another behind that. The second had a pool at the bottom even deeper than the original one we discovered, and was even deeper, and the third was absolutely beautiful, running down a wall of old masonry above a overhang that made a sort of cave surrounded by rocks and shallower pools. My gosh, it was amazing. We swam, jumped, stood in the falling water, and climbed around on the rocks, all completely secluded and off the beaten path. I even worked up the guts (after watching three other guys do it) to jump off the rock face about 25 feet up the second fall into the pool below. Freaking scary, but so much fun.

But, eventually we had to call it a day and climb into the truck once more. I'm pretty sure that was my favorite day here thus far, full of good times and meeting new friends, and I look forward to (hopefully) getting over there again soon.

And now I'm off to bed. this week promises to be abnormally busy, which is saying something. Our speaker also promises to be unique, today he scratched his topic seconds before starting because he felt God telling him to speak on other things, to offer us guidance. He said that this is totally a first time thing for him, and that the Lord must have something special for our group, which I've heard repeated over and over. It's really starting to get my attention, and perhaps even make me nervous. What could God be up to? I guess we'll just have to find out.

Onward, to serendipity.

3 comments:

  1. You are giving your Mother a heart-attack. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself though. Will really start praying for safety and good health on a regular basis. Miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoy these posts so much....praying for you every day. God does have special plans for and He can be trusted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No heart attacks here... Just jealous of the adventures. Tourists would pay hundreds to go to stinky over-crowded waterfalls. Did you tell your friends the shining rock story? Rebecca and I saw some cool falls in Jamaica a couple weeks ago and I jumped off a 25 foot "cliff" into a blue pool of water. It was very cool.

    ReplyDelete